Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cocoa Muffins

After a hectic couple of weeks, a lazy Sunday morning cried out for some baking.  I decided that something chocolaty was required, but I wanted to keep it healthy.  I perused the pantry to see what ingredients I had on hand, and these mildly sweet, subtly flavored cocoa muffins were the result.
To be competely candid, I didn't think these muffins tasted that good.  I found them to be just so-so.  I have a pretty strong sweet tooth, so my reaction was probably due to their lack of sweetness.  I was sure that Mike wouldn't like 'em too much either.  However, he took a bite and proclaimed them "delicious!".  He really, really liked 'em.  He even proceeded to eat most of the batch.  Tastebuds are nutty things!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2/3 cup of fat-free Miracle Whip
  • 2/3 cup of non-fat milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
  • Brown sugar for sprinkling on muffin tops
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Spritz a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick buttery spray.
  • In a large mixing bowl, blend all dry ingredients with a fork.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together Miracle Whip, milk and vanilla, until well blended.
  • Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until mixed.
  • Fill muffin cups with batter to about 2/3 full.
  • Sprinkle with brown sugar.
  • Bake muffins for about 15 to 20 minutes.
This recipe was adapated from "How to Make Low Fat Cocoa Muffins" at http://www.ehow.com/how_2307238_make-low-fat-cocoa-muffins.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment