Friday, May 18, 2012

Local Flavor, Laughlin Edition: Firehouse Coffee Company














Heading to Laughlin for a relaxing getaway, to take in a rooftop concert, or for a motorcycle event?  You definitely want to make time to visit Firehouse Coffee Company while you're there. Firehouse is family-owned by Dana and Karen Kern, who've been a fire department family for over 20 years.  With a charming ambiance of soft lighting and fire-related paraphernalia, plus the delighftul scent of fresh-roasted coffee, Firehouse inspires you to grab a grind and goodie and set a spell.

My husband Mike and I stopped into the Riverview Mall location in Bullhead City, Arizona, after Mike flew us down in the low-wing for a Doobie Brothers concert.  It was hot, hot, hot when we arrived in the mid-afternoon, so we were in much need of cool refreshment.  I'd been to Firehouse one time before and enjoyed it so much that I insisted Mike had to try it. 

Mike had a "skinny" vanilla latte and a homemade eclair.  I got an iced black tea sweetened with sugar-free caramel syrup, and Mike and I shared an orange-cranberry scone.  Being a big fan of ooey-gooey chocolate-coated things, I thought I'd like the eclair the best.  Nope, the scone impressed me more with the tart fruit flavor and the just-right firm-but-crumbly texture.  The eclair was pleasant with a vanilla pudding-like filling, rather than the Boston Cream-style filling I'm accustomed to. 

Normally, that would have been it for us, but then I saw the sign for the Firehouse Hot Lips Latte.  How could I resist sampling a beverage with that name AND made with "velvet" steamed milk?!  In addition to the milk, the latte featured espresso, white chocolate, cinnamon, and homemade whipped cream.  It was good, but I felt slightly disappointed.  I guess I expected more "wow!" factor from it, and it was akin to some of the seasonal offerings at Starbucks: good but not extraordinary.

The bakery case at Firehouse is full of sweet and savory choices, and I'm looking forward to going back to try more of those and another one of their coffee drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment