Sunday, May 6, 2012

Homemade Tortillas


Inspired by my very good friend, Becky Johnson, who recently made tortillas from scratch for the first time, I decided to try it myself.  As Becky and others report, it's not hard to do. It is, though, a time-consuming process because you cook each tortilla individually.  One recipe makes a bunch of 'em, so it makes sense do it on the weekend and then freeze them for meals throughout the week.  They're inexpensive, and it's nice to use healthier ingredients like whole wheat flour.

Becky's blog post has a great tutorial that nicely illustrates each step of the process.  

My husband snacked on a couple of these with butter and really enjoyed them.  I think they'd be good with some jam as well, which is what I've pictured here.  My husband's working out of town this week, so I'm freezing the remainder of the tortillas until he gets home.  I plan to make steak tacos for him.  I'll post the recipe here, of course.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups white flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups water
Directions:
  • Whisk the flours, salt and baking powder together.
  • Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles corn meal.
  • Add the water and mix until a dough forms, kneading lightly.
  • Divide the dough into 24 golf-ball size balls.
  • Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Grease (with non-stick olive oil spray) or flour a cutting board and roll out each ball into a thin, round shape.
  • Place into the hot skillet and cook until lightly browned; then flip.
  • Continue rolling and cooking the remaining balls of dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment