Friday, April 6, 2012

Spicy Beef & Bison White Bean Chili


I had some leftover ground beef and bison that I didn't want to have to discard because of spoilage.  So, I decided to use them to make chili.  I didn't have any tomato sauce or paste in the pantry, so I subbed Spicy V8.  The result is a moderate spiciness that builds a little with every bite.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound organic ground beef
  • 1/2 pound ground bison
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 cans white beans, drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 2 cans Spicy V8 
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions:

  • In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook beef, bison, onion and garlic until beef and bison are crumbly with no pink.
  • Drain. (The meat I used was very lean, so I didn't need to drain it.)
  • Spoon beef and bison mixture into a medium-sized slow cooker.
  • Stir in beans and remaining ingredients.
  • Cook on high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or on low for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
  • To serve, top with cheese and corn chips or sour cream and green onions.  (I used 0% Greek yogurt; it's my favorite healthy substitute for sour cream.)

No comments:

Post a Comment