Monday, March 19, 2012

Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork


I saw the Pioneer Woman make this on the TODAY Show, and I figured it'd be a fun recipe to try for my husband.  I decided to make it on Saturday night when he was in between work trips, hoping to make our one evening together extra special.  I changed things up just a bit by using the slow cooker.  It took a bit longer, but the pork still tasted great.  I think, though, that I'll do it in the oven next time because I bet it'll look prettier... and maybe have a thicker sauce.

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole large onion
  • 1 whole pork shoulder
  • 2 cans Dr. Pepper
  • 1 11-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions:
  • Peel the onion and cut it into wedges.
  • Lay the wedges in the bottom of a large slower cooker, set on low.
  • Salt and pepper the pork roast and set it on top of the onions.
  • Pour the chipotle peppers and sauce over the roast.
  • Pour in the Dr. Pepper and the brown sugar, stirring to combine.
  • Cook for six to eight hours, turning the roast two or three times during the cooking.
  • Check the meat after six hours.  Use two forks to test pulling the meat off.  If it's not falling off, continuing slow cooking for another hour.

I served this on buttered, toasted buns with a side of veggie chips.  It was very tender.  The meat itself was not overly spicy; the heat and spice is contained in the sauce.  My husband apparently liked it quite a bit because he asked for a second sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment