Monday, June 4, 2012

Whole Wheat Biscuits



After another action-packed week, Mike and I enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning.  We woke up happy but hungry, and I realized I didn't have much in the house for breakfast.  Not wanting to leave the bed, I visualized what I had in the pantry and fridge and then Googled recipes for whole wheat biscuits.  That, combined with eggs and leftover steak, would make a hearty breakfast any man would appreciate. I found a great, super simple recipe for the biscuits, and voila, I had a well-rested AND well-fed man at my disposal.

Although Mike was happy with them, I felt the biscuits were lacking in flakiness.  In doing some reading, I've learned that I could have handled the dough too much, or perhaps my baking powder was past its prime, or perhaps I should have used cake flour, which has less protein.  I'm going to BlogHer Food 2012 in a few days, and I intend to ask the experts there.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into very small pieces
  • 1 cup evaporated fat free milk (or any milk you'd like to use)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • In a medium sized bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
  • Mix the butter pieces into the flour mixture, mashing it together with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
  • Pour in the milk and mix together.
  • Knead the dough 8 to 10 times.
  • Turn out onto lightly floured cutting board.
  • Pat it flat to about 3/4 of an inch thick.
  • Using a biscuit cutter or glass, cut out rounds.
  • Place biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.


No comments:

Post a Comment