Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chocolate Toffee Crackers


In the last couple of weeks, I have made several recipes from the Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke.  Thank goodness I can bring all my baking to work to share with the various offices on our floor.  Otherwise, I'd be tossing all these yummy treats in the trash on a regular basis to preserve my waistline!

By the way, Joanne calls this "Ibby's Metaphysical English Toffee".  That seemed to long and weird to give as a name to my co-workers, so I came up with "Chocolate Toffee Crackers".

Ingredients:
  • Saltines to fill two 9x13 baking pans (Joanne calls for a 16-ounce box of Club Crackers, but I couldn't find those in the store I was in at the time.)
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups 60% cacao bittersweet chips by Ghiradelli (Joanne uses milk chocolate chips, but I chose to use these to keep the sweetness down.)
  • 2 cups sliced almonds (Joanne called for chopped pecans, but again I couldn't find those in the store I was in at the time.)

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Line the baking pans with foil.  
  • Spritz the pans with non-stick buttery spray.
  • Line the pans completely with saltines, salt side up, covering the whole bottom.  (You can break the crackers if necessary to cover the entire bottom.)
  • Set aside the baking pans while making the toffee.
  • Combine the butter and brown sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
  • Bring to a boil of medium hight heat, stirring constantly.
  • Boil for exactly 5 minutes, again stirring constantly.
  • Pour the mixture over the crackers as evenly as possible.
  • Bake the pans of crackers and toffee for 10 minutes.
  • Remove the pans from the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips.  
  • Give the chips a minute or two to melt and then spread them out gently over the toffee-covered crackers.
  • Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the top.
  • Refrigerate the pans.
  • When the chocolate toffee crackers have cooled thoroughly, peel from the foil and break into pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment